• 19th September 2016

Moving Diary: Part 4


The time has finally come! I am writing this sat at my kitchen table in my brand new flat! After months of hunting, planning and sorting through my worldly possessions, I can’t quite believe that I am now all moved in.

It’s safe to say that I was pretty stressed in the week running up to the move. I think it’s impossible to stay calm when moving house! What was baffling me was why I was feeling so stressed. I think it was the waiting and just wanting to get on and do it. I was also convinced that something would go wrong on moving day that would just throw a spanner in the works.

I don’t think you can be 100% organised when moving. I tried to sort through as much of my bedroom as I could and get everything ready for the move but even on the day, I was still packing last minute things.

So waking up on Saturday 10th September 2016, moving day, I was pretty excited. I couldn’t believe the day was finally here! The first task was to drive to the estate agents and pick up the keys. Can you believe that I got handed a bunch of 14 keys!? I still have yet to work out what all these keys do because so far, we have only needed 6 of them!

Me and my sisterMaking every car journey count, I filled my car up with some suitcases and kitchen appliances that I could take into the flat when I put the key in the door for the first time. Stepping into my new home felt very surreal and almost like I shouldn’t be there! I felt like I was intruding on someone else’s property! It was such an exciting feeling though.

After getting my bearings, my boyfriend and I made the trip to U-Drive where we were to pick up the van we were hiring for the day. If you can manage, I would thoroughly recommend hiring a van yourself rather than paying out to a moving company. It’s so much cheaper and if you are a control freak like me, you will find comfort in being able to pack the van yourself!

We had our first hitch of the day when the company gave us a van much larger than the one we were expecting. Luckily, I wasn’t driving, but poor Ollie’s face when they brought this truck out – considering he hasn’t driven in a while, he did amazingly driving that thing!

With skilful manoeuvring, we managed to park the van on the drive back at my house and began the loading. We were there for about an hour or two as I still had to sort through some things but we were soon on the road again, off to my new home.

New bedroomNew bedroom The flat is on a main road so we had to park right up onto the curb to unload but with the help of Ollie’s housemate, we got the van unloaded within half an hour so it didn’t cause too much of a traffic problem. We got some grumpy looks from bus drivers but it’s not like we could do much else! If you’re in a similar situation where your house is in a bit of an awkward position, just do what you have to do and ignore what other people think! As long as you’re not completely obstructing the road and pedestrians can still safely get down the pathway, you’re fine. Just get unloading as quickly as possible!

It was a very busy and tiring day so we rewarded ourselves with a bottle of wine and a nice greasy curry in the evening. I’ve had the last couple of days off work to give me a chance to unpack and get settled. At the moment, the sitting room is very bare! I have a couple of beanbags by the window and a desk in the corner – that’s it! I’ve got my sofa coming on Friday though and I’m hoping to get my TV at the end of the month. It will feel like a home in no time.

Leave a Reply

You May Also Like